Some time ago I wrote a multipart blog titled Drawing A Bedside Table. It was intended to teach beginners how to draw furniture in SketchUp. At the time SkectchUp 6 was the version available. These tutorials still exist and you can find them on my Google SketchUp page under the heading Beginner’s SketchUp Tutorial.

Recently Google SketchUp 8 was introduced and I pondered updating these tutorials. As I thought about it, a better idea came to mind; I decided perhaps I should redo them, but as a video series instead. What I intend to do is provide a video for each part, using the current version 8. The differences are small and shouldn’t be a problem. This way the reader can choose the medium he/she best learns in. Or even use both as supporting material. One day I will update the written versions. So here is the result, Beginner’s SketchUp Tutorial Video Version–Part 1.

Before jumping into the video there are some comments I hope will make learning SketchUp easier. SketchUp is a powerful tool, its learning curve is quick and it can be fun. It can also be frustrating for beginners. To help avoid this frustration, or at least to minimize it, I have developed a few rules that I encourage you to memorize. Or at least memorize the concepts embedded in them. If you commit these concepts to memory you will avoid that desire to give up, that many beginners reach. As you watch the video you should notice that I practice these rules myself.

Rules for 3D Modeling in SketchUp

1. Save your work frequently

Under the Window menu choose Preferences. Select the General panel and under “Saving” make sure both “Create backup” and “Auto-save” check boxes are checked. Set “Every” to 5 minutes. In addition, get into the habit of saving your file frequently using the File/Save (or File/Save As if it is the first save). You must save your file once before “Create backup” takes effect, so do it immediately upon beginning a model. 3D modeling is a lot of work and loosing multiple hours of work can make you blood curdling angry. Follow this basic rule to avoid hypertension.

2. Layer0 should always be active when modeling

During the modeling phase, described in Rule 6, make sure that Layer0 is always active. Access the Layers dialog box with menu Window/Layers and make sure the radio button to the left of Layer0 is selected. This should remain true through the entire modeling phase. This ensures that all primitives reside on Layer0. More importantly, that the primitives of a given group or component are not on different layers which would make using Layers to view and hide individual parts nearly impossible.

3. Draw one part at a time

NEVER allow a part in its primitive state touch another part in its primitive state. The word primitive, or primitives, means points, lines, faces, rectangles, circles, polygons and arcs including construction lines and points. In short, a primitive is any drawn object except a solid, group or component. Primitives are the most fundamental of drawing objects from which all other geometry is drawn.
A part is in its primitive state unless it is made into a group or component.
It  is very important to understand that when two primitives touch, even when they are on different layers, they STICK together.

4. As soon as a part takes 3D shape make it a component

Components save time and frustration. In addition, they dramatically reduce the file size of your model. Groups are similar to components but components have several advantages, most importantly reducing file size and efficiency in editing. Avoid groups if possible. A part doesn’t have to be completed before making it a component; in fact it should be made a component as soon as it takes on a 3D shape. Further modeling of the part, or edits to it, can be made later using the protected “Component Edit” or “Group Edit” tools.

5. As soon as a component is created move it to the layer where it will reside

The best way to move a component to a different layer is by using the Entity Info box. If the desired layer does not exist, use the Layers box to create it and then move the desired component onto the layer. Both the Layers and Entity Info box can be found on the Window menu, including other helpful boxes.

6. Draw a complete model before creating scenes, texturing or dimensioning

Draw a complete model first, including joinery. Be sure all parts are components. All components must have a unique and descriptive Definition Name. All components should have a unique instance (part) Name.
This I call the modeling phase. Only when the 3D model is complete should you move on to creating scenes, texturing or dimensioning.

Rules 3 and 4 are important because in SketchUp primitives are “sticky”. That is, if they touch one another they stick together, more accurately they share points, edges and faces. Therefore, if table legs and a table top are drawn in their correct position relative to each other, and are in their primitive state, they would be touching. Separating them onto different layers or making them individual components or groups becomes at best frustrating and at worst near impossible. In fact if you tried to move a leg the top would move; worse it would become totally distorted.

SketchUp’s sticky nature is one of its most difficult aspects to deal with, unless you follow these rules. Once mastered, drawing parts and converting them to components will become second nature. You will also discover that this sticky nature of SketchUp’s primitives was not perpetrated on the unsuspecting beginners by its developers to inflict hypertension and a nervous breakdown. Rather there is an overriding useful purpose that will be evident as you continue learning.

Important

After you have completed Part 1, and certainly no later than Part 2. See http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=1419 and http://www.srww.com/blog/?m=201102 . They may save you a lot of aggravation.

Preparing to View the Video

A completed SketchUp model of the Bedside Table can be downloaded from my website srww.com. Select the Free Plans menu button, scroll down to Tables and locate Bedside Table from the list. It is available both in native SketchUp file format (.skp) and as a PDF file (.pdf). Before you view the video take time to familiarize yourself with its design and dimensions. For this first part we are especially interested in the tapered legs. You may want to print out the leg dimension scene(s) for reference.

Downloading the Video to Your Computer

Sometimes the performance of your internet connection, the load on it at a particular time of day, and the length of these video tutorials can all conspire to provide you a frustrating and impossible viewing experience. If this happens it may be preferable to download the entire video unto your system and view it on your local video player. The video file is an mp4. It can be viewed with most video players including QuickTime and Media Player. If you have a default, or user specified, file association for .mp4 you may have to delete it or use a download manager to download this file. Otherwise the associated application will be invoked and file streaming will prevail over downloading. There are numerous free download managers on the internet. Be careful, and do some research to locate one that is not loaded with spyware or viruses.

To download this video click here or paste

into your download manager.

Viewing in Your Browser

You may find it easier to view the video in full screen mode. Start the video before selecting this mode. To enter full screen mode click the little screen icon at the bottom of the video player. When in full screen view hold your cursor near the bottom of the screen to access the video player’s controls. Exit full screen mode with the Esc key. This part is approximately 40 minutes long. Sit back, relax and enjoy the show!

See you in Beginner’s SketchUp Tutorial, The Video Version–Part 2.

64 Responses to “Beginner’s SketchUp Tutorial, The Video Version–Part 1”

1. Jerry Robinson says:

Joe–I’m really appreciating your newsletter and videos. At the moment I am making two rails that join together in the center with a half-lap joint. I made one rail a component as soon as I used the first push-pull. I then copied it to make a second rail. Since each rail is different (each is beveled at the ends, but the half-lap joint requires different slots), I want to make the second one unique. I’m using SU8, and I can’t select only one of them to bring up a context menu containing “make unique”. When I click once on one of the rails, I get both surrounded by a blue box and the make unique feature on the context menu is faded. Is this a problem with SU8? Any help will be welcomed. Thanks, Jerry

2. Joe says:

Jerry,

It sounds to me like you may have made a component of both rails. You can actually do this with SketchUp, that is select two separate components and make them into one component. Make Component can create a hierarchy of components.

Select one, as you have been doing when the blue outline surronds both rails. Right click and select Edit Component. Then a bounding box will surround both rails. Now, within the bounding box see if you can select them individually.

If you can, then select outside the bounding box to exit Edit Component mode. Select one of them again and the blue outline sill select both. Right click and chose Explode. Now you will have two components that you can select individually.

If this is not the problem, send me you .skp file via email. Send it to jpz@srww.com and I will let you know what you are doing wrong.

SketchUp 8 has no problem I am aware of in this area.

Hope this helps.

3. Jerry Robinson says:

Joe–I may have done what you suggest. Also, could it be that when I copied the first rail, I did it in component edit mode? I have destroyed the first file and tried it a couple of other times. The last time worked and I was able to make the copy unique. I have never understood what gets done in edit mode and what doesn’t. I now think that the rule is that only edits to the part get done in edit mode; everything that doesn’t change the part gets done outside the box. In any event, I now have both rails finished and am working on the legs. Many thanks for your help. Jerry

4. Joe says:

Hi Jerry,

Yes, it is very possible that you did the copy in Component Edit mode and that would explain what happened to you. And you are correct, only edits to the part get done in Component Edit mode. If you enter component Edit mode for a given part only draw what you intend to be changes to that part. If you want to make changes to another part exit Component Edit mode on the current part and enter it for the other part.

Copy, Rotate, Flip Along and Move are note changes to a part and you should not enter Component Edit mode to execute them.

I hop that makes things a little more clear.

Joe…

5. Jerry Robinson says:

Got it. Many thanks, Jerry

6. Davis Peticolas says:

Joe – I’m finally getting around to working through your Sketchup tutorial. Wow, it is great. I had to watch Vid1 three times before I could recreate it on my own. I’ve learned more about components with this one video than I ever knew.
    It is always important to know how, but knowing why is important too. What do layers do for you?

7. Joe says:

Davis,

Glad you like the tutorial. The “why” for layers will become very clear when you get to the sixth tutorial on dimensioning for shop drawings. For now you sort of have to trust it makes sense. What layers do is allow you to hide or show various combinations of components in a view or scene. But as I said it will be very clear when you get to dimensioning.

Happy Holidays,

8. Billy Graham says:

Hi Joe, this comes to you from Bonnie Scotland. I’ve tried sketchup a few times now and shut it down with great frustration. Just gone through your first tutorial on my desktop, with my laptop running sketchup, i can pause and do what your doing on the laptop and get the result instantly. Thank you so much for this and i am looking forward to the other tutorials. K.U.T.G.W.

Billy Graham, Scotland

9. Joe says:

Hi Billy,

Glad to hear you got through part 1 and I hope you get hooked on the rest. I am quite sure that when you complete all eight you will be comfortable working with SketchUp. Say hello to the folks in Scotland. I actually have a lot of Scots read my blog and write. Good luck with the tutorials and Happy New Year!

Joe…..

10. Tim Janssen says:

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your excellent tutorials. I have been playing around with SU for a number of years now and basically been winging it, learning a bit every time I use it. Never worked with layers before and had a dickens of a time trying to figure out what you meant by “layero”. For ignorami like me it would help if you would write it as follows “layer 0″.
    Just a suggestion.
    Again thank you for all your hard work.

Tim

11. Joe says:

Hi Tim,

Glad you are learning something about SketchUp from the tutorials. I understand the confusion on Layer0 and I will try to make its definition and labeling more clear in the future. Unfortunately, I have tons of written document, tutorials and video with it done this way and changing them would be almost impossible.

12. Lester Gillett says:

Joe-After just a hour of watching your Beginer’s Tutorial
    on Sketchup I learned more then the all day class i took
    with one of our club member. When you finish with the drawing and need to see the dimension’s is there a way to
    save them when you are drawing each part ? Then retrive
    them to the finial drawing ? I have booked marked this site
    and will use it a lot. Thanks for making the tutorial.

Lester Gillett

13. Joe says:

Hi Lester,

Yes, there is a way to dimension each part and retrieve it for use later. But you are going to have to wait until Part 6. In SketchUp we model the whole design before putting dimensions on it. You will see why in Part 6.

And I am very glad you find this tutorial useful.

14. Lester Gillett says:

Joe- I am working on a drawing and i have moved the toolbar
    to the left side of the page. The toolbar is still up at the
    top, how do i remove it and add the tool bar you have in
    your tutorial screen ? So far i am doing ok, just need to
    go back to your tutorial to reread a point.

Lester

15. Joe says:

Hi Lester,

I am not sure what toolbar you are talking about. In general you can move tool bars by dragging and dropping them where you want. Pict them up where the little horizontal or vertical bar is. You can close them by dragging them into the work area and clicking on the red X (at least on the PC, I don’t know about the Mac.

Are you using the written tutorials or the videos? The videos are up to date for SketchUp 8. The written tutorials are written for version 6 and I was not as experienced with SketchUp back then as I am now. So the videos are a better bet if that is a learning method you are comfortable with.

Joe…..

16. Lester Gillett says:

Joe, the tool bar that i see in your video that i am asking
    about is the one just under the file,edit, view. My page
    doesn’t have the one i see in yours.

Lester

17. Joe says:

Hi Lester,

That one is called the Standard toolbar. Go to View/Toolbars and check Standard.

If you are on a Mac, it may be different. I don’t have a Mac so I can’t tell you how to find it there. Let me know how you make out and if you are still having problems finding it I may be able to find someone with a Mac for the answer.

Joe…..

18. Lester Gillett says:

Joe. Thanks for all the help and will send you a copy of my
    drawing when its done.

19. Lester Gillett says:

Joe not sure what i did but my left front leg is on the left
    side of the green and red line. Now when i try to make a
    copy of the right side apron and move it to the left it is
    on the inside of the leg. How can i move the all the drawing
    to the right side of the green and red lines.

Lester

20. Joe says:

Lester, You don’t have to move the legs. You can move the axis. Go to the menu Tools/Axis. Click on the front, left bottom of the left front leg. Move the cursor parallel to the red axis and click. Now move the cursor parallel to the green axis and click. Now your left front leg should be correct. If you moved the others correctly, they will still be correct.

By the way, if you continue to have problems you might want to contact me via email at jpz@srww.com. That way you can send me your .skp file and I can tell you exactly what you did wrong.

Joe…..

21. Lester Gillett says:

Thank Joe. will do my email if i git into trouble.

Lester

22. Paul Baril says:

Hi Joe, Ottawa Ontario calling. I have just completed Part 3 of the SketchUp Tutorials and I’m learning so much. I’m not only learning this great tool; I’m learning how to make furniture the proper way. I make many mistakes as I draw my own following your video at the same time (both on the same screen. I pause it a lot to fix my mistakes. I would really be disturbing the class LOL. The more mistakes I make the more I learn. In any case, I want to give you the biggest thank you possible for doing this. Your videos are so well made and your voice a pleasure to listen to. Thanks again. Paul (retired Fire Protection Advisor for museums and cultural resources 1998.

23. Joe says:

Paul,

And a big “You are welcome” back at you. I am very glad you are learning SketchUp and maybe some woodworking at the same time. You might want to take a break from the Beginner’s SketchUp Tutorial long enough to watch the Primitives, Components and Layers tutorial (see http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=1419). It may save you a lot of learning pains. It covers the problem most beginners experience.

By the way, I added you to my Chiefwoodworker’s Newsletter distribution. I hope you don’t mind. If you want off just reply and say so. I don’t share the list with anyone.

Good luck with SketchUp and don’t hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck. I can be reached at jpz@srww.com .

Joe…..

24. Bob Rath says:

Joe–I have made a simple retangular component(12″ x 6″ x 1/2″) and have entered “edit Component” to simply add a hole in it. When I make a circle and use the push /pull tool to create the hole, I get an extruded tube out the back of the component. I’m forgetting something…can you help or tell me what section of your video to re-watch?

25. Joe says:

Hi Bob,

I sent a small video to you demonstrating how to do what you want to do. While in Edit Component mode draw your circle on the front face. With the Push/Pull tool, still in Edit Component mode, push the circle through the board and type 1/2 enter or simply click with the cursor on a back edge. Either one will accomplish what you are looking for.

26. LenInNorCal says:

Well done and a God sent. Clear, straight, and even an idiot such as myself can understand it. I am amazed how much he (or you) pack into the video. I am a bit apprehensive since it starts SO basic (much needed for me) and proceeds clearly to what I consider complex issues. It may be that I am old and cannot remember all those commands that seem so simple! Thanks for posting that and I’ll probably watch it a couple of more times. What I don’t understand is how finicky my program is: sometimes I can put the measurements in the bottom right hand box and sometimes they won’t take, no matter what language I use!
    But thanks, again.

27. Joe says:

Hi Len,

Stick with these tutorials and I am sure you will conquer SketchUp. It’s pretty intuitive, but it takes a little time to get over the initial hump.

Regarding the box in the lower right, it is called the VCB (Value Control Box) and its tag (the name displayed to the left of it) is context sensitive, meaning it will change depending on what you are doing. Do not try to put your cursor in it. It is not necessary. simply type the value it is expecting and it will do the rest. Don’t forget to type Enter after typing a value.

28. Wojtek says:

I have found your website looking for info on how to build a grandfather clock for myself. When i first started the SU i could not get it even if i have some experience with other CAD tools. After listening to your excellent video tutorial i was able to design a clock! If interested pls check for ‘grandfather clock with kieninger ksu33 mechanizm’ to see it ;)
    Big thanks!
    Wojtek

29. Joe says:

Wojtek,

I am glad you found the tutorials useful. And I took a look at your clock. Good job! Are you still using version 6? You might want to consider upgrading to 8. It has many improvements.

30. Wojtek says:

Joe
    localized version as default is available only as 6.xx. I am downloading English version 8 now – thanks for suggestion

i have problems with designing the frame for the front doors – where the designed shape is to be repeated along the designed path (follow-me tool). Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Any clue how to do it right?

31. Joe says:

Wojtek,

Send me a .skp file of your project and tell me what shape yo are trying to extrude with the FollowMe tool and I will send you a short video showing you how to do it flawlessly every time. Send the .skp to jpz@srww.com . It is easier to communicate via email anyway.

32. Skip Evans says:

I am sure you have heard this before, but I have to say these tutorials are great. I have wanted to learn SketchUp for a long time but could not find tutorials I was comfortable with.

Thanks

33. Joe says:

Hi Skip,

I have heard it before, but I sincerely appreciate it when I hear it anew. I am glad you like the tutorials. I assume you have just started with Part 1 of the Beginner’s tutorials. I am at this very moment working on Part 4 of the Intermediate tutorial series. So I hope to keep you busy for quite a while.

34. Tom C says:

Thanks for the great learning tools. A question from Tutorial 1: How do I recreate your custom template?
    Thanks,
    Tom

35. Ken McGinnis says:

your sketch up tutorial has really helped, me.
    Ken

36. Joe says:

Ken,

You are welcome, and I am glad you find them helpful.

37. Joe says:

TomC,

Set up your Preferences, Model Info and Styles dialog boxes as you want them. All thre can be found in the Window menu. When you are satisfied with the drawing environment go to File/Save As Template and complete the Save As Template box. Be sure to check the Set as default template box.

If you have problems contact me at jpz@srww.com.

Joe…..

38. David Powell says:

I notice your positive axis lines are bolder and therefore more visible than the default. Where is it that these are modified? I can’t find it.

39. Joe says:

David,

To my knowledge there is no way to modify the axis line width. I think what you are seeing is an artifact of the video compressions rendition of the solid and dotted lines. I have not done anything knowingly to enhance them. Though that seems like it should be an option.

Joe…

40. David Powell says:

Joe,
    Fabulous tutorial. This is truly great stuff. But I have reached frustrating impass. I get to the point where I am to use the rectangle tool to trace the tenon on the leg so that I can push/pull the rectangle to create the mortise and it just doesn’t work. The rectangle appears as dotted lines and is not separate from the fact that forms the back on the leg. I have tried this multiple times and can’t figure out what I am doint wrong. Any suggestions.

41. Joe says:

David,

I am not understanding what the problem you are having is. DO you have the leg in Edit Component mode when you are drawing the rectangle? Are you using the X-Ray tool or the Back Edges tool to assist in drawing it? The fact that the rectangle is dashed lines leads me to believe you are using the Back Edges tool. Try X-Ray and use the Orbit tool to change picture orientation until you can see what you are trying to do more clearly. Also, if you send me an email with your .skp file attached I will let you know exactly what is going wrong. Send it to jpz@srww.com.

42. Mark Davis says:

I have tried a number of times to learn how to use sketchup, and have giving up. After watching your videos, I have a much better understanding of how to use the program. Thank you for taking the time that it must have taken to make these!

43. Joe says:

Mark,

You are welcome. I hope the tutorials help you to master SketchUp.

44. Clay Soules says:

Hi, Joe. Wow! The best tutorial that I’ve seen yet. I really learned a lot even though I’ve been modeling for about a year now. One of the things that is important to note is that when one learns by trial and error, as I’ve done, you tend to get into bad habits. Your tutorial just pointed out at least a half-dozen bad habits, and more importantly “short-cuts” or better ways to perform modeling tasks.
    Mu real question is whre do we go to view part 2?

45. Joe says:

Hi Clay,

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad you liked Part 1. Hopefully you will find the others just as good.

If you look in the right column of any blog page, including this one, you will see pointers to Chief’s Tutorials. There are nine beginner tutorials (8 +1), and six intermediate (5B & 5B count as two).

Joe……

46. TOM says:

This is great! I tried different guides or tutorials and it was just too generic and technical for an old fart like me (57 years). I just wanted to design things for my woodworking shop in 3D to coincide with plans drawn on my delta cad, which I barely get around. Only drew along with first 2 beginner tutorials but have learned way more than I fumbled around and learned since I started sketchup a few years ago. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU very much!!!! Tom

47. TOM says:

Joe, I just learned something new from question from Lester Gillette. The tool bar he may have been asking about is in view in tool bars as large tool set. I have had mine in getting started all these years and thought everywhere I’ve seen tutorials using large tool set was the pro version and not available with the free download. If it weren’t for Lesters question I would have never realized it was on my software all along. Thanx to both Lester and you for showing me I had something useful all along and didn’t know it. Tom

48. Joe says:

Tom,

Glad you are finding these tutorials helpful. I suspect you will find that as you progress through the series you will learn other tools and more importantly other ways to do the same things. If you have problems you can always reach me at jpz@srww.com. And be sure to attach a copy of your .skp file.

Good Luck,

49. Carlton Albritton says:

Thanks for the tutorial. very helpful. Looking forward to the next one.

50. Joe says:

Thanks Carlton. Let me know if I can help.

51. Dennis Dinsmore says:

I am a recently retired software developer (wrote my first code in 1964!) and a self-described intermediate woodworker. I have been using Sketchup since it first came out yet I learned a lot from going through your tutorial. Not only was it very instructive, it was also visually well put together and had a very professional look to it. I congradulate you on a job well done.

Your next challange: produce a video on turing the bedside table drawing into an actual piece of furniture.

52. Joe says:

Hi Dennis,

Glad to here you have gotten something from my videos even though you are an experienced user of SketchUp. But I must admit, my videos are not professionally done. I sit at my desk with a cup of coffee and a microphone and sketch away. Some days I talk with a lot of Uhhhs and Ummmms and my dog barks in the background. So I do edit those out. But mostly I just give you what I say, mistakes and all.

I don’t think I am film quality, but I do have an apprentice starting this week. Maybe I will shoot some video of him while he learns to build fine furniture.

Joe…..

53. John Meeley says:

Thank you Joseph. Your willingness to share your knowledge is only exceeded by your ability to teach. I tried in vain to learn SketchUp8 on my own for enough time to frustrate myself. I was provided the link to your blog, and in one short lesson I knew what I had been doing wrong all along.
    I have watched all eight segments in your beginners tutorial, and now I am in the process of re-watching and building along with you. I get it now! It works, it’s clear and your a pleasure to work ‘beside’.
    I will be sure to follow your lead and “model” myself to be as helpful to others as you have been to me.

54. Joe says:

Hi John,

Thanks very much for the kind words. I am pleased that my tutorials have been effective for you and that you found my teaching style compatible. When I started the tutorials they were as much for my learning of SketchUp as sharing my knowledge of SketchUp. Now I enjoy meeting and helping fellow woodworkers like yourself. If ever you need help with a SketchUp issue don’t hesitate to write me at jpz@srww.com.

Thanks again,

55. E Maxwell says:

Very nice video. I’ve been all over the web trying to learn Sketchup for woodworking. Your Part 1 video has taught me alot. Thank you so much for taking the time to make your videos.

56. Joe says:

Hi E,

You are welcome. Glad you found part 1 useful and hope you find the rest equally helpful. Let me know if I can help with you SketchUp studies.

57. Frank Pratt says:

A few months ago I went through the beginner’s tutorials & really enjoyed them. I got sidetracked by life for a while & now am reviewing them & then will move on the the others. Your manner & method of presenting the content is excellent (if only you had been a teacher at my high school) and I am enjoying every minute of the videos. Thank you very much for the efforts you have put into these tutorials.

58. Joe says:

Hi Frank,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I am very pleased that you find the tutorials helpful and fun to view. Let me know if you need any assistance or help of any kind. I can always be reached at jpz@srww.com.

59. Wally Luikey says:

Hi Joe,
    I am starting your tutorial series over again. Too many interuptions in my life I guess.

Your details are excellent.

Wally
    Building stuff in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

60. Joe says:

Thanks Wally. I hope you find the time to get through them this time. I am always available to help if you need it. Write me at jpz@srww.com if you have any problems. And send me a copy of the .skp file with the problem and I will help you figure out what you might be doing wrong.

Joe…

61. André says:

Hello Joe,

Just completed your Beginner’s tutorial. Although I have some experience, it is mostly based on some very limited tutorials that just tell what the tools are for. One of the great things about your tutorial is your 6 rules list. I worked many many hours on a gaming environment (not for production, just for the fun of doing something with Sketchup), and let me tell you, although I haven’t much trouble using the tools themselves, I didn’t have your 6 rules, and WOW did I lose time, waste time, redo lost work etc. etc. I am extremely happy to gain the discipline of your 6 rules.

Also, as a note, your little warning program (the one that warns you when you activate a layer other than 0), is great to have. The number of time I accidentally activated a different layer when all I wanted to do was make a layer visible (I tend to click on the left to activate something and the layer visibility is on the right) would have made following the tutorial very distressing. Thank you for that little “pain reliever software”.

André

62. Joe says:

Hi André,

I very much appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

The six rules are rules I discovered the hard way. When I finally figured out a drawing methodology that kept me out of trouble I though the woodworker SketchUp community at large would find them useful; and the Ruby tool too.

A friend of mine wrote a companion tool for those times when you are already in trouble and the warning tool won’t help. See http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=1818.

Happy New Year!

Joe…

63. Thomas says:

you are my hero!

thank you very much for taking your valuable time to create these tutorials. I have been roaming around all over the internet and by far your step by step videos are wonderful. I look forward to watching all of them.

Thomas

64. Joe says:

Hi Thomas,

Glad you have discovered my tutorials and find they work for you. Being called a hero makes me want to design a tight fitting body outfit with a cape and a large C on the chest for Chiefwoodworker. But when I visualize it I realize it wouldn’t be a pretty picture;<)

Joe…